Courgette Pasta, whatever is that?
I have been experimenting with using Courgettes as pasta, some attempts have been more successful than others. This dish is inspired by a Deliciously Ella recipe, with of course a little bit more added.
There is a lot in the press about reducing the amount of carbs you eat, however my reason for experimenting was due to my husband not being able to eat pasta. I have tried some of the gluten free options and to be quite honest was not that impressed, there is about a second where it goes from being under cooked to mush!! You can now buy Courgettes already made into noodles, for about £1.25 for 300g, although it's more fun doing them yourself. If you do want to have a go at making your own, a spiralizer will cost anywhere from £11.99 to £49.99. A very dear friend bought me a Rotato Express when I broke my wrist and could not peel vegetables. You can imagine my excitement to find a machine that peels your vegetables for you!! Anyway I now use this to spiralize my veg!!!
Courgettes are one of the lowest calorie vegetables, with only 17 calories per 100g, it is technically known as a fruit not a vegetable. Zucchini, as it is also known, has a high fiber content which helps to lower cholesterol levels.
Did you know that the simple Avocado (or Alligator pear) originated from South Central Mexico, they produce around 1.47 million tonnes a year. Advocados are a great source of vitamins C & E, which provide antioxidants to fight those free radicals post workout. They have twice the potassium as Bananas which helps regulate body fluids.
In previous blogs we have talked about the importance of Magnesium, this dish has a good source due to the spinach, avocado and pine nuts and will give you around 155mg of Magnesium.
- 2 Courgettes, Spiralized
- 10 Chestnut Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Avocados
- 2 Large Handfuls of Spinach
- 8 Cherry Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Red Chili, deseeded and chopped
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 10 leaves of fresh Mint
- 5 leaves Coriander
- Handful of pine nuts
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of Sesame Seed Oil
- Heat a large pan and add the Sesame Seed oil, when hot add the mushrooms and chili, simmer for about 7 mins. Add the spinach and simmer until the spinach has reduced down.
- Add the spiralized courgettes, and simmer gently for about 5 mins.
- Peel and stone the avocado and chop, add to a large jug, add the mint, coriander, lime juice and olive oil. Using a little hand blender, blitz the mixture until it is as smooth as desired. Season to taste.
- Add the avocado mixture to the pan and heat through.
- Serve with chopped tomatoes and pine nuts sprinkled on the top.